Hi! I’m a VC investing in frontier technology at the seed stage.
I landed in venture at Compound after an atypical background of doing marketing at a startup acquired by Gartner, studying data science, and a little bit of everything at a startup focused on creating experimental educational initiatives for cutting edge STEM fields (think computational neuroscience for the NIH, or aerospace for NASA). The common thread through all of this has been a lot of self-directed learning.
Our firm takes a very thesis-driven approach to investing in new technology, which entails digging into white-papers and other research, and finding hubs where this seeds of this development are growing. Some of the areas I’ve focused on most are: near-term quantum computing and hybrid quantum-classical algorithms, trucking and logistics, edtech, game engines and infrastructure, personalized medicine and healthcare, women’s health, privacy-preserving machine learning (federated learning, for example), and lab automation.
I also angel invest! And I love helping founders make early technical hires and communicate their technical visions effectively. You can find my shorter form thoughts here on Substack.
Inspired by Devon Zugel – a few things I like to think about and/or I want to learn about
- How we define truth, and how this contrasts to how we’ve done so historically, and how it relates to science and faith
- Education and it’s ideals
- Non-verbal communication
- The overlap of machine learning, education, neuroscience, and developmental theory
- Theology and religious history
- Quantum information theory
- The handcrafts that underly clothing & fashion – textiles, beading, printmaking, etc.
You can find some of my older writing on my Medium, here.